Wednesday 26 September 2012

Turning 24...life moves fast

Life moves fast but turning 24 is not the end of the world
Next Wednesday, I turn 24 years old.  This scares me a bit.  While I hope to have a brilliant day and fingers crossed, a lot of well-wishing – life is moving fast.

You never know what is around the corner but realistically, I have lived out a third of my life already.  That is a disturbing thought to have!

24 is not a special age – especially if you have a lack of money, no relationship, no paid job and have a life that in direction terms, feels like a stalled Formula One motor racing car.

Negative thoughts aside, I have learnt a lot from the past 23 years and that is a lot of life experiences. 

Many scenarios have been thrown infront of me and fortunately, I have managed to conquer many hurdles flung at me.

Here are 10 things I have learnt from this life of mine, which is hurtling quicker than a normal commuting train from Milton Keynes to London Euston.

1. Don’t be greedy – When it comes to presents, appreciate what they are now with age.  Some might not be exciting but it is the thought that counts (except if it is another pair of smelly socks!)  Presents are lovely to have but occasions like birthdays and Christmas mean more nowadays than just gifts.

2. Be healthy – Although I don’t have the healthiest diet on the planet and my eating habits are so different to many out there, I try to look after myself.  I do drink but only occasionally and very rarely will I let that get out of control.  I don’t smoke, I don’t take drugs and I exercise regularly.  The days of being a fat couch potato are luckily a thing of the past.

3. Being helpful – One of the main qualities I think I have in life.  I always like to try and help people, especially if they deserve it.  It is nice to do this and hopefully, the person you are helping respects and values your kindness.

4. Take a step back – Don’t get too intense about life, what is the point.  Okay, you can disagree with a political viewpoint, a sporting decision or the choice of music from a fellow human being but the only life you can control is yours, no-one else.

5. Appreciate what you have – Sure, when we have lots of things, we would love to have more.  However, appreciate what you have.  Most of us will have some great friends, a wonderful family and if you are lucky, an appealing relationship.  Some of us on a worldwide scale don’t have this luxury.

6. Always expect the unexpected – Hardly anything ever goes as planned.  Always expect the unexpected.  Life is never easy but then again, if it was – it would be boring.

7. Don’t complain – Okay, this isn’t easy.  Trust me, I complain about things when they don’t go right but it is best to change your attitude or approach or just don’t complain.

8. Stress – There is no point in being stressed because all you do is make things doubly worse or say something that you are likely to regret.  Chill out a little bit more, approach things in a more relaxed manner.  So, when someone tells you to R-E-L-A-X, take their advice!

9. Have a crush on a celebrity – Let’s face it, we must all idolise a celebrity – whether that is a pop sensation, a Premier League footballer, an attractive film star or if you really are bizarre, a political leader.  By the age of 24, if you don’t have a dream crush/love, something is seriously wrong.

10. Work hard – Work hard and the rewards will come.  Sometimes, it is harder than it is for others but lazy, clumsy people who show no effort won’t go the places you want to.  With a bit of dedication to your career, you will succeed in some form.  It is just a question of patience.


At the end of the day, we have to make the most of our life and the opportunities offered, otherwise what is the point of it all.

Being 24 isn’t the greatest age to be but it isn’t the end of the world and it could be a whole lot worse.


0 comments:

Post a Comment