Sunday 30 September 2012

The graduate job market


You would have thought that after getting a 2:1 degree classification from a three-year journalism course in the summer, it would have been easy to get a paid job. 

Realistically, that was never going to happen and so it is proving out to be the case.  In an uncertain economic climate, the graduate job market has serious pressures. 

Nobody wants to be unemployed especially as in my case; you have moved back home to live with parents and are having to pay to stay there. 

Although I am doing some freelance work in my free time, the process has been frustrating to go through.  Even the retail industry isn’t interested, which doesn’t help matters.

Shortly after I finished my degree, I was lucky enough to get an online internship with Total Football Magazine, initially during Euro 2012 and as a sub-editor and features writer.

I impressed the editor so much that I got promoted into the deputy editor role from the beginning of this month, which has extra responsibility and has made life much tougher for me.

Growing frustrations
The challenges thrown at me have been immense and largely, I have enjoyed the experience despite some growing frustrations along the way.

I am being tutored by an editor who was masses amounts of experience in the media industry and he knows what he is talking about. 

Trust me, stray commas, sentence structure and poor headlines have annoyed me too!
He changed my covering letter from a dull and drab piece into a sharper, shorter piece. 

While I shouldn’t be using a template and won’t be from now on, his example to me was invaluable for myself.  I apologise now to anyone who thinks I’m a boring old fart.

The only disappointing thing is I’m not being paid and therefore, a long-term future is unlikely.

I have applied for countless paid jobs.  Some of them have been internships; others have been temporary contracts and some in permanent positions.

Determined to make a breakthrough
I’m determined to breakthrough into journalism.  I was put onto this planet to get into the media sector, not to be a waiter, a bin man or to stack shelves on the supermarkets of ASDA every weekend!

Most got back to me with the term ‘high volume of applications.’  Some didn’t even bother to reply.  I wish all employers did find the time to reply in some form of way, it’s unprofessional otherwise.

I’ve even tried to get back into retail.  I had to quit my job of six and a half years in June as I was leaving Northampton and couldn’t get a transfer back to my local store due to the lack of desired hours. 

You could actually earn more signing on than working a measly four hour Saturday shift nowadays – I checked those figures a long time ago.

Has there been any joy with retail?  No.  I’ve done eight applications, just one interview and no job.  With Christmas around the corner, I need something fast or it will be slim pickings this year.

I have had a bit more luck this week, with some unpaid article work for a student graduate website which should be setup in the next few weeks.

An unlikely avenue
Radio and headphones with a microphone could be a new avenue
Then, on Friday – I got the go-ahead to start an online talk show for an online radio company on a topic of my choice.

I have to record three 15 minute auditions in October, before whether they decide to take me on permanently in one hour slots.

Should I be successful, I would be earning a little bit but nowhere near enough to survive and please those closest to me.

The search continues and as the temperature starts to drop rapidly outside, here’s hoping for the big breakthrough in the graduate job market.

From my experiences, I have felt downbeat on occasions and annoyed too when you get no responses back to job adverts but I won’t give up. 

Some advice for those in a similar position, keep trying, keep applying because you just don’t know what is around the corner.

If someone had said radio was a potential career avenue last year, I would have laughed at them.  The news at the end of last week shows to always expect the unexpected.

0 comments:

Post a Comment