Saturday 15 September 2012

Taking risks or being secure?


As individuals, some of us are pure risk takers.  We decide that we should throw ourselves into a situation and have a feeling of ‘I don’t worry about the consequences.’

I admire those who have this sort of approach towards life but what kind of individual would you rather be? 

You could be either a real gambler in life (and I’m not talking about your regular fruit machine gambler) or you could be the human being who prefers security.

I was thinking about this today, especially as I fit into the latter group who prefers stability.

For the first time since 1994, I won’t be in full-time education.  That counts first school, middle school, secondary school, sixth form, college and University. 

Although it is good to get out of this habit, I would rather have a rough plan of what I want to do in the months ahead.

Not much of a risk-taker
To not have that at the moment is not a nice feeling.  Now that we are in September and it doesn’t feel right to not be ready to go back to Uni or school, like a lot of people are doing now.

Without even a paid position makes this even more difficult.  Perhaps I need to alter my approach towards life.

Or maybe I shouldn’t?  Realistically, I’ve never been much of a risk-taker and that has increased ever since the summer of 2009 (those who know me will know why).

Taking risks are good but it isn't a regular preference of mine...
I have great respect for those who want to spend their lives jumping out of planes, bungee-jumping, driving fast racing cars etc.  That is all about taking a risk, embracing life and frankly, not giving much of a care about the possible implications.

It’s not like I’ve never ever taken a risk.  I’ve told a few girls how I feel about them (and it never worked out), I’ve made bets with friends on sporting events (with modest results) and I’ve taken leadership in group situations and often come out better for the experience.

So, it isn’t like I’ve ever taken a risk.  However, I love stability and I don’t like it when I don’t feel in a secure position.

In life, you have to take risks once in a while but sometimes, having a rough plan could be a better outcome…

0 comments:

Post a Comment