Wednesday 26 September 2012

The BlackBerry...or maybe the CrackBerry

In today’s modern technology era, we all need to get around with some form of proper phone communication.

Today, it is the smartphone that is dominating the market and while there might be the odd person who can cope without these new gadgets – the majority will need one in their career, their life or for their social well-being.

Getting a BlackBerry wasn't my best decision on reflection...
Last year, I got drawn into getting a BlackBerry when my previous phone crashed and packed up a month before my 24-month contract with T-Mobile was due to expire.

I was so excited about getting a smartphone and felt the BlackBerry was going to be the best phone I’ve ever had.

On reflection a year on, it was possibly one of the worst decisions I made.  So it continues my trend of poor choice in mobile phones.

On the contrary, I’ve never been too lucky with mobile phones.  Sometimes because I got bored with what I had, others due to sheer incompetence from the company I was with. 

Either way, while I like security – I have had as many mobile phones as wins on FIFA 12 via my Xbox Live gamertag.  And the FIFA total is in single figures!

When I got my BlackBerry last October, (one of the curved versions) – I got it at the height of the RIM server crash.

I wasn’t that bothered actually.  It meant a delay in setting everything up and actually, I went into Uni the next day and couldn’t stop laughing at some of the inane jokes that went out on Twitter.

Sayings like – ‘What happened to the days when a BlackBerry was just a tasty little fruit,’ ‘Dear BlackBerry, what is a keypad? LOL!  Sincerely, Apple!’ and ‘What did the iPhone say to the BlackBerry?  iWork,’ left me in stitches of laughter.

Even my work boss said ‘gutted’ to me a few days later.  It didn’t worry me too much but maybe it should have done.

Lack of space and poor reliability
The space for applications is ridiculous.  Although I don’t need apps for restaurants and where the direction of the moon today is, there is no space to have what you want.

Plus, I like to have a few classic mobile games like Snake, Tetris, Sudoku etc and that is a squeeze in itself.

I have struggled with the e-mail concept too.  While it is lovely to have e-mails delivered instantly to your phone to read, it can be annoying that you have to delete them twice if they are spam messages (internet inbox too!)

The BBM messaging service is a major pull as this is free and handy to have but again, if there are limited connections, this isn’t as attractive to have as a general app for most phones.

In August, my first phone crashed and needed repairing.  T-Mobile wrote it off and gave me a new phone (well, same model and same version) anyway.  However, I lost all my BBM pins, apps and contacts. 

This was annoying and hence I have given it the nickname the ‘CrackBerry.’  I have one more year left of my current deal and safe to say, I will be looking at either Android phones or the iPhone next.

The Motorola V2288e was my first phone - an age ago now!
I think back to my first phone which was a brick to say the least.  The Orange Motorola V2288e in 2001, which looked cool at the time but now if you had it, then seriously – that is so early 21st century!

My best phone I had was a Nokia flip phone, (can’t remember the make) now but it was light, easy to use and I could store anything on it.

Sadly, this got stolen in the summer of 2009 in an incident that I would rather forget. 

In a world of regular communication, the need to have a smartphone is very important but be wise when picking your choices.  My advice is: Go for an iPhone or an Android based model. 

They seem easier to use, better on battery life and more importantly – super reliability compared to the BlackBerry which has as much reliability as Ed Miliband’s political policies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment