Wednesday 14 May 2014

The UoN Experience - Year Two: Trials and Tribulations

By Simon Wright – Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

As the second anniversary approaches which signalled the end of my education life and the finale to my journalism degree at the University of Northampton, I have decided to share my own personal experiences from my three years at UoN. This includes a look at some of the nightlife memories, a critical assessment of the video products I produced and my insight into each of the three years I had in what was my second home.

Next is the middle year of my degree. In 2010-11, the UK celebrated a Royal Wedding, then suffered days of rioting in the summer. Barack Obama successfully managed to capture the world’s most wanted man and England’s cricketers actually won an Ashes series in Australia. For me, this was a rocky year but I survived it and learned a lot from the difficult times to make me a stronger individual.

After a break of some three months, second year began at the University of Northampton in late September 2010 and it was fair to say that it was a sluggish start for yours truly. This would turn out to be the biggest character test I had endured in my education history. It led to me nearly walking away from it all in the spring of 2011 and ultimately ended with my first ever A grade in exam conditions.

With my Halls of Residence contract ending, I had to look quickly for new accommodation for second year in Northampton. Luckily, I found a room similar to my first year environment in a building called Sunnyside – owned by YF Properties in January 2010. I quickly signed a rental agreement and moved in eight months later. Sadly the early weeks were punctuated by regular cutouts of the electrics in the building. I was unfairly blamed by some of the other stayers who believed one of my electrical products was causing the faults. That hurt because you know deep down when you’ve done something wrong and when you haven’t. It took around three weeks to solve, with the movement of a fridge freezer in my room to help ease socket pressure, but it turned out to be a faulty hairdryer in another area as the cause. After that, I (pictured below) elected to keep myself to myself throughout my two years in Sunnyside as I had more important issues and that was passing my degree.
Smiling through a tough start to second year, which turned into a bumpy ride
However this didn’t help my settling in phase into second year and meant I couldn’t fully concentrate in the early weeks. I also wasn’t happy with the spilt of the course that saw me separated from almost everyone I had been close to in first year. Whether it was planned is not for me to answer but it did start a tempestuous relationship with many of the lecturers throughout second year.

The one person I hadn’t been spilt up from was another female who would play a huge role in both my development as an individual on the course and a friend away from the assignment pressures. I had got to know Tamika through first year but not in the way I did throughout the next two years. Tamika became a very close friend of mine. We were in all the same module classes and I had great fun being around Tamika and with another lad in the form of Shane. We were in the lengthy six-hour workshop sessions on a Tuesday morning and quickly formed a friendly partnership in group projects. Tamika and Shane were big players in perhaps the funniest project throughout my three years at UoN. Tamika and I were asked to do an exercise on sound prep for the Film Style & Technique module in October 2010. What followed was a hilarious two-minute piece of drama, superb acting and ‘The Maskman,’ played by Shane. We only revealed his identity about six months after the piece went online on YouTube!

I continued to work with Tamika throughout the year and alongside two other journalism colleagues, Chris and Parris, we produced a short but fantastic five-minute documentary on issues of car parking for students at University. It had a perfect balance from student concerns on the issue to the way the University could deal with the problem. Tamika and I did the camera work, the production folder and the editing, Chris and Parris were the main people who carried out the interviews. I was so proud of this project when completed – and tops the list of video work throughout the course.

Whilst the friendship I had with Tamika went from strength to strength, I wasn’t feeling so good on the inside. When I had to film the opening of a new manufacturing company in the Brackmills Industrial Estate of the town on my own, it was the catalyst to a huge meltdown as winter gradually turned towards spring. After relaxing and not studying during Reading Week (there’s a lesson for all future Uni students), slacking off on my return to lectures, the charger to my laptop stopped working and then a furious argument with a fellow colleague, I came so close to going home back to Milton Keynes and not returning. I wasn’t in the right frame of mind and I’m happy to admit I was on the verge of a breakdown. I’m an individual who often takes things to heart and therefore, this can lead to huge uncertainty. I questioned if I was good enough for the Uni course – even thinking of going because I was a distraction to others around me.

Having felt zapped of morale, confidence and happiness, I was ready to pack up and go when I saw the videos of the horrendous tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011. As a trainee journalist, I really felt for everyone affected by something so devastating that Mother Nature could throw up. I then realised that here I was feeling so low just about a laptop charger breaking and a petty argument when others worldwide had lost everything through no fault of their own. If I had gone through with it and walked away, it would have been a massive mistake. A weekend back in home comforts helped, and I returned with a new belief and also a relaxed, rather than stressed approach to the workload.

Before all that, the entire journalism intake had undertaken a press day for the first time as a group magazine was put together for Christmas in 2010. On the day itself (the final Friday before Christmas), it was sheer and utter chaos but organised chaos in that. With the hard work of the whole course, plus the knowledge and experience of senior lecturer Hilary Scott, we got a Unique Xmas magazine online and there was an element of both pride and relief. Hilary only began lecturing with our group from second year and she was an excellent motivator and lecturer. If you worked hard, she would appreciate it and if you got on the wrong side of her, your life would be made a misery. I think that was a good element. While I’ve never liked harsh criticism, I also appreciated what Hilary would do for some of my weak design work. Rather than paper over the cracks, she’d tell me face up if it was utter rubbish and I could start again by improving. She did that with most of us. In second year, Hilary was the only lecturer who I felt I could communicate with in a fair and dignified way and it is a shame that we are no longer in contact.

As deadlines approached, nightmares began. I was on track and never really had problems with meeting deadlines in good time, although some assignments wouldn’t be without their troubles. The eight-page magazine I did in second year was so close to failure. It was a pitiful attempt and highlighted my dreadful design talents. If you saw it, you’d come to the conclusion that a 10-year-old could do better! Others had left things a bit tighter and with computer servers crashing and not being sorted instantly just added to the pressure. On top of that, there was a Law & Government exam to prepare for. MB5, which was the main work room for journalists became a second home for most of us. All it needed was some sleeping bags, a kettle, toaster and microwave and it probably would have converted into a sleeping hut! So when everything was handed in, it was pure joy for all of us. I was so proud of the group in general. We had come together and helped each other out in those final weeks and battled against the lecturers in almost a mini mutiny. All of this happened in the midst of one of the hottest April months on record too.

I put a lot of preparation into the Law & Government exam – although with other various projects going on, I couldn’t solely focus on this as much as the first year exam. I went into the tense atmosphere of exam conditions in a confident manner, perhaps the most I’d ever been. Usually in exams, my brain froze and I didn’t perform. This time, it was all different. I felt I had done well, but I was stunned when the results came back and I had achieved an A grade! Surely it was a mistake…Simon Wright getting an A grade in exams is about as likely as the United Kingdom ever winning the Eurovision Song Contest again! It did happen though, perhaps more by fluke than good nature but it is on the results record so I won’t be swapping it for sure.

With lectures, workshops and presentations completed by mid-May, it was then out on the town for a proper celebration with my course (more in the nightlife chapter). The year wasn’t quite finished though. In July, I went to London to undertake a two-week work placement with Runners’ World Magazine, one of the many publications under the National Magazine Company. It was such a valuable and useful experience of how a publication works (on a monthly basis in their case). I enjoyed it, even if the commuting was a bit of a tricky. I was incredibly lucky to get this placement and I think it put me in good spirits that I could work well in an office position which is what I now have today.

So that was second year done and dusted. Two-thirds of the course done, just 33 per cent to go and now it was crunch time. Second year at the University of Northampton had taken me to the brink and back but I had succeeded and it was time for a decent summer break and a family holiday in Fuerteventura before the joys of my final academic year in education – season 2011/12.

0 comments:

Post a Comment