Sunday 18 May 2014

The UoN Experience - The Video Projects

By Simon Wright – Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

As the second anniversary passes which signalled the end of my education life and the finale to my journalism degree at the University of Northampton, I have decided to share my own personal experiences from my three years at UoN. This includes a look into how good the University is in general, a critical assessment of the video projects I produced and what happened after graduation.

Books played their part in the final major project in third year
Whilst there were many assignments I did in my time at the University of Northampton, some were better than others. That includes video work which took on a bigger role as the years progressed. For the first time in the public eye and with the help of my YouTube account, here is some of the video work I did throughout the three years as I assess the strengths and weaknesses of each piece.

I am working on a video showreel which will go online both on YouTube and on Viewing Perspectives later in the summer.

The Credit Crunch – Filmed February 2010
Group: Simon Wright, Emily Shears, Miles Aitkenhead


This was the first video project I was involved with which was a short exercise project in first year, mainly in how to use the video cameras, film an interview and edit it into a sharp news piece. There were no prizes for this and that was rather thankful.

At college, I was so frightened of the practical equipment; I didn’t even want to switch a video camera on for fear of breaking it! Luckily that was something I didn’t worry about at University.
I was paired up with Emily and Miles and we basically had to film each other, and interview one another on how the credit crunch had affected students’ lifestyle at University, basically (their own life).

It’s far from a classic and I look better in another piece a few months later, but it was a start and I do believe that the clear errors in this film had been eradicated in the next two years.

Strengths: Clearly spoken throughout, honest answers in the questions and clear Astons.
Weaknesses: Lack of weather conditions consistency, jumpy camera shots and the size of the picture frame.

Northampton Lift Tower – Filmed April 2010
Group: Simon Wright, Tamika Short, Rochelle Lye, Todd Murphy


The first year TV assignment involved a trip to the iconic Northampton Lift Tower, which is regularly seen over the skyline whenever you approach the town. There had been talk on it reopening to the public as a tourist attraction after it had been shutdown 13 years earlier.

Another student took control of the presenting duties and I resorted to doing the editing work, which was one of my best technical skills. I didn’t think it was a bad piece but there was most definitely room for improvement.

There were some excellent and useful interviews but heavy wind noise and a huge cut on the final cue of the presenter’s closing speech was not great – especially when there was little I could do about this in the editing suite.

Strengths: Good interview subjects, mix of interviews, some solid editing transitions.
Weaknesses: Presenter not in the centre of the shot, cut on the presenter’s closing speech, Wind noise, a far too long introduction.

Vision Products Opening – Filmed January 2011
Group: Me


This was a very interesting project which turned out to be my unexpected TV piece in second year. A notification about this appeared on the student dashboard a week before the official opening of the Precision Manufacturing plant in Brackmills, but as it was offered to the Monday workshop group (I was in the Tuesday group), it looked like a non-starter for myself.

However when only one person volunteered to cover this, I decided this was a great opportunity and not one I should turn down. However when the second person didn’t show on the day, it was left to me to do camera work, the interview and the editing all by myself. Not easy but just about manageable.

Vision Products had decided to open their plant up in Northampton rather than move abroad to provide jobs for locals in a difficult economic climate at the time. I went on the day when it was officially opened and it was an interesting morning with the head of marketing solutions, Pete French and the workforce.

I was generally happy with this – there were big improvements to first year video work and put me in good stead for the final year major project. Of course, there were weaknesses as expected but for a one-man job, it came out rather well.

Strengths: Decent cutaways, strong narration, excellent interview with the boss
Weaknesses: Solo job made it trickier, another interview would have been ideal, doing the introduction on site in Brackmills rather than in an editing room at University.

Local Libraries under Threat – Filmed February 2011
Group: Simon Wright, Tamika Short


With some doubt over whether I could use the Vision Products piece, I decided to do a back-up in reserve which featured the threat of closures of local libraries within Northampton.

I went with colleague and close friend Tamika to do some filming outside St. James’ Library, which was one of the libraries that had been under risk of being shutdown in cost-cutting measures by the council.

I remember the days we went were cold, wet and miserable and filming next to a gun shop was slightly disturbing! Generally, it wasn’t an awful piece but I preferred the earlier camera TV report I had already done due a lack of consistency with voiceovers and a struggle with cutaway shots as we didn’t get permission to sadly film inside St. James’ Library.

Strengths: Point of the story was made, good main interview piece to camera
Weaknesses: Stumbling voiceovers, lack of decent cutaways due to filming restrictions, look too small in the pieces to camera.

Parking Problems Documentary – Filmed April 2011
Group: Tamika Short, Simon Wright, Chris Ola, Parris O’Sullivan


The documentary for Film Style & Technique was put together in the first four months of 2011 and this is as far as I’m concerned, the best TV project I did in the three years of studying at the University of Northampton.

Paired up with Tamika again and fellow journalism students Chris and Parris, our aim was to create a five-minute documentary on an issue around University. I don’t quite know how we ended up doing something on car parking prices and lack of spacing around both campuses but it turned into an intriguing documentary.

There was a slow start but we got a fantastic amount of interviews (largely down to contacts of Chris and Parris), leaving Tamika and me to work on the editing, camera work and paperwork elements.

The final result was a balanced documentary that highlighted the problems and expressed students concerns but also allowed a University staff member to respond to the issues raised. I don’t think it could have gone any better. It was a great team and I found a real buzz in putting this together.

Strengths: Variety of interviews, good use of music, balanced piece with no 100% bias, decent cutaways.
Weaknesses: Some audio levels of the voiceovers weren’t fully equalised, microphone cables evident in occasional interviews.

The Current Affairs Radio Show – Recorded April 2012
Group: Lauren Bowen, Miles Aitkenhead, Simon Wright


In terms of audio work, the best piece which came in third and final year. I never really enjoyed studying radio but creating a radio show was an interesting aspect. It was another one of those modules where the theory wasn’t exactly thrilling but the practical side was much better.

As individuals, we had to produce two features for a 30-minute radio show. One was feature length of approximately five minutes and another was a short, sharp two-minute piece at best.

Our lecturer then paired us into groups of three. I worked with Lauren and Miles on this and we immediately gelled as a group and were well organised in putting this together. The Current Affairs Show features pieces on Human Trafficking, Racism in Football, Film and Music Reviews, the building of a University Technical College and a feature on the fallout of the 2011 UK riots after the shooting of Mark Duggan in Tottenham.

The final result was a polished, strong piece of current affairs programming.

Strengths: Working in such a strong group, a wide range of topics, strong links into pieces, adverts to break the programme up.
Weaknesses: None

Modern Technology – Filmed May 2012
Group: Simon Wright


And so to the final piece of video work and this was my final project of the three years at the University of Northampton. I chose to look at the advancements in modern technology and picked three aspects of the new enforcements on our everyday lives; eBooks, the MP3 music revolution and smartphones.

I got an excellent response to an online survey I created, came up with some strong interviews with varying opinions, and by doing the piece by myself with only requests for a few people to be involved in some cutaway shots – I did a professional and clean job of this 10-minute feature.

I wouldn’t change much on this if I did it again. Maybe work on hiding microphone wiring and positioning the camera better to centralise my interview subjects but I think this was a fitting end to my three-year degree.

Strengths: Wide variety of interviews, no heavy music reliance, doing online surveys and social media interaction, strong introduction and title sequence.

Weaknesses: Some static cutaways, a couple of interviews weren’t centralised enough, microphone wiring use. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment