Tuesday 18 December 2012

Unpaid internships - Is the system fair?

A couple of years ago, the word 'unpaid internships' was not used massively, but now it has become a common starting point for most graduates.

It has now been just over a week since I had to leave my deputy editor position with Total Football Magazine.  To give a short story, a paid freelancing contract which had been agreed on, fell through due to financial issues.

I had to leave, I had no choice.  I had worked unpaid for six months, and while I was annoyed and disappointed with how it all ended, I have still learnt a lot and will take this into future employment.

An opportunity into the working world
So is the system of unpaid internships a fair one?

In my view, it is not fair at all.  What do they offer to graduates?

Admittedly, they do offer upcoming graduates an opportunity to get into the working world.  You do learn some new and valuable skills while in these positions.

In my role, I learnt a lot more about the editing and subbing process of stories, how to use a CMS (Content Management System) and improving my confidence in adapting to communicating with various press agencies and liaising on press releases – deciding if they were worth being turned into a story for the website I worked on.

There were some stressful times, occasions where I doubted myself but as time went on, I did grow in confidence and I did enjoy it.  Working from home as it was an online position did make it easier too.

There was talk of a paid position and it was frustrating to not get official confirmation, despite repetitive requests.

Perhaps deep down, I knew that this could be the final outcome and sadly, this is what happened.

Many senior people are abusing the system, treating new employees very badly.  Perhaps there were some financial issues but I've believed since my second year at University that honesty is the best way forward.  

On occasion, I didn't think this was always happening but that is just my general feeling.  The  experience of running an online football website wasn’t a complete waste of time for me, but I could have done with some cash. 

It would have been more worthy filing papers and making tea in a tedious office job.  At least you will more than likely get paid for that!

Employment law says it all
The guidelines of the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) say:

“If someone is expected to undertake ‘work’ for any organisation, they are entitled to be paid the NMW (National Minimum Wage) – even if there is no written contract in place.

“However, the issue of whether an intern classes as a ‘worker’ is made more complicated by the fact that, in some circumstances, they could instead be classed as ‘volunteers.’  In which case, the NMW legislation does not apply.”

However, there is also a difference between work experience and internships.  Work experience programmes often happen for a fortnight and sometimes could last a month.  

If you apply for this, you know that you will be getting experience but won’t be paid, unless there is an arrangement with travel expenses.

Work experience though does not last six months.  It means in my situation and I’m sure in many others, it is wrong.  The system is quite frankly illegal.  

Graduates are being made to do slave labour basically.  Everyone is aware of the economic meltdown on a worldwide scale, but it doesn't hurt to show some equality here and again.  

The experience is valuable, don’t get me wrong but entry-level staff should be paid after four weeks if an employee wants to keep them on for a longer period of time.  

This isn’t just to write one article per fortnight (which you wouldn’t expect to be paid for), this is if you are doing a minimum six-hour day, five days a week.

Filing papers is tedious but you are likely to be paid for it
Under employment law, people who work and do set tasks, which can be as simple as writing notes, making coffee and typing up letters into a Word document should be entitled to being paid.

Unpaid internships are illegal and there are more cons than pros.  Experience is one thing, slave labour is quite another. 

As I am a 2012 University graduate, think very carefully before applying for these positions.  The chances are there is more likely to be sacrifice rather than gain at the end of it all. 

For me, it is now paid positions or I’m not interested, it is as simple as that.  And I might even return to education if that will help.

My experience was testing, valuable and useful, but I got out at the right time.  

Perhaps this is one avenue that should be looked at in future by the coalition government.  Ban unpaid internships – they are immoral and illegal.  End of story!    

0 comments:

Post a Comment