Tuesday 18 December 2012

The true meaning of Christmas


It is just one week to go now until Christmas, and I’m sure a lot of us have stocked up on chocolates, alcohol, turkey and of course, the presents for all your loved ones.

The true meaning of Christmas has often been confused and we probably all have different reasons for why this festive celebration is so special.

To me, Christmas is a time to put aside all the feelings of the year and enjoy the day.  I mean, if you can’t enjoy Christmas Day – then you must have some serious issues. 

Presents are always nice but they are now a bonus to myself
As I have grown older, my attitude in presents has changed.  Gone are the days of ripping off the wrapping paper without a care in the world to get the latest games console or mobile phone.

We all like presents, but for me now, it is the thought that counts when it comes to buying gifts for loved ones, whether that be family, long-distance relatives, friends or boyfriends/girlfriends.

Socks are the only accessory I’ve never seen the point of.  Sure, they are practical and as a bloke, you never can have enough socks, but admittedly, I’ve always struggled to appreciate getting a pair of socks.

I agree with Barcelona defender Gerard Pique in this advert for last year’s FIFA game.

Spending time with loved ones
However, I will accept and appreciate any gifts given to me because it is thought that counts.  It isn’t about being greedy, it is about being grateful that you were thought of. 

The most important thing about Christmas is spending time with your family.  Enjoy the Christmas TV with them – as for some, there isn’t many occasions where you gather around with the family over the course of the year.

Christmas is all about having a laugh, putting a smile on your face and embracing what the day holds. 

I hope everyone is looking forward to next Tuesday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment