Sunday 8 September 2013

The travelling desire

By Simon Wright - Follow me on Twitter @Siwri88

Tomorrow marks the start of my ninth week in my newish role as a picture researcher for a leading company in stickers and trading cards.  While I can’t go into much detail, it has been a good and worthy experience.  I have settled into a routine, get on well with the whole team, contribute to all projects that we have undertaken as a team so far and if I’ve made any mistakes, I’ve always learnt from the slight errors.

I am now halfway through the contract given to me when I accepted the role, and it means I need to start thinking about my short-term plans yet again.  Plan A is most definitely to stay where I am at the moment.  When I did my journalism degree between 2009 and 2012, I didn’t imagine ending up being a picture researcher to be honest, but things can’t have gone much better, and I really do not want to return to the position I was in during the first six months of 2013.  That was a feeling of insecurity, frustration and at times, feeling depressed as I started to ponder a life without any real purpose to it.  I love where I am working at the moment, and ideally will want to continue there in the short-term.  I am still doing a couple of minor writing tasks in freelance positions, and am attempting to run two websites at the same time, and that isn’t easy.

Longer term and the goal is to land a dream job writing in journalism or media – preferably on sport, but flexible to go into other sectors (excluding politics and religion!)  One area that interests me and allowed me to develop a new skill earlier this year is travel writing.  There is a desire to go travelling at some point in my life, and that could happen in the future I’ve considered.

When I was at University, the idea of travelling and seeing the world never really appealed to me.  I’m a close-knitted individual – in terms of keeping my family and friends close to me, and while I always wanted to own some kind of property abroad when the money started rolling in, travelling or living abroad almost full-time just wasn’t a viable option.

That element changed back in January when I started doing some flexible writing guides for the website Holiday-Weather.com.  Unfortunately this venture only lasted four months and three travel destinations, but it was the only element of the first six months of this year that I look back on with pride and satisfaction.  Writing travel guides was right outside my usual comfort zone, but it was something I took on and got quite excited about.  Looking on the internet at some of the awesome accommodation destinations, and amazing activities made me slightly jealous of not being there.

The world can offer some beautiful sights and shots
I have been abroad before and on many occasions too.  My first foreign holiday was to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands in December 1999.  As a family, we used to escape the chilly weather and spend Christmas and sometimes New Year in far hotter climes.  Christmas 2000 was spent in Tunisia, 2001 in Gran Canaria, 2002 in Tenerife and again in 2005.  There have also been holidays in Malaga, Faro in Portugal and more recently, Fuerteventura in August 2011.

I went to Fuerteventura in 2011 feeling so happy to leave the UK.  At the time, the country was being burned to the ground with nightly riots across the land, and it sickened me.  Part of me wished it was a one-way ticket to Fuerteventura.  The holiday itself was relaxing, fantastic and hot, and walking down the promenades near the beach, I actually pictured a future here and away from Britain for the first time in my life.  It is a destination I’d love to return to again in the future, and who knows what might happen in the longer run.

Fuerteventura was a great experience two years ago, and a place I'd love to return to
There is a desire to see more of the world now.  Earlier this year with the lack of job opportunities and potential, I hatched a Plan B to go away for 12 months and see different destinations in a budget range.  The list included cities such as Paris, Montreal, Abu Dhabi, Auckland in New Zealand and Barcelona.  I even briefly considered going to Brazil to experience the atmosphere of next summer’s World Cup finals.  Whilst some of these ambitions were unlikely and mainly non-starters, it did suggest I was happy to go and explore places I could never have dreamt of even two years ago.  And that is down to the writing work I did for Holiday-Weather in the first part of this year.

I am proud to be British and that faith was restored last year by the way we celebrated the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic Games, something that I had seriously questioned in 2011 after the riots up and down the land.  England will always be my home, and Milton Keynes will always be my hometown.  That won’t change, but there is now a plan in place should things not work out to go and spread my wings.

If people want to go and see the world, whether that is the skyscrapers of Kuala Lumpur, the romance of Venice or Paris, or some of the great wildlife Down Under in Oz, they should do it.  Life is unpredictable and no-one knows what is around the corner.  While I like to be settled and in a comfort zone of my choice, there is a travelling factor I am happy to consider.  Being realistic, it is unlikely for me to make a move abroad in the near future; but it is something I’m considering in my longer-term plans (meaning around five years down the road etc.) 

Make the most of the possibilities.  Go to explore Monaco’s riches, or the pyramids of Egypt.  Picture a world abroad and the possibilities are endless.  What would be your dream destination to live in the future?

Despite the worldwide recession created by the unreliable banking sector, there is still some gorgeous scenery across the planet.  Don’t ever rule out a world move – it could be one of those decisions where it is scary at first, but the experience becomes totally worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment