Saturday 12 January 2013

New Year resolutions

We are now 12 days into 2013.  2012 gave us all plenty of great memories – both personally and publicly, and it is a year that I am sure none of us will forget in a hurry.

Did you make any New Year resolutions and have you stuck to them, or broken them already?

My record in this department is mixed.  I never kept them growing up, but succeeded in 2011 with a plan of controlling the amount of alcohol I would have per week.

Last year’s resolution was not great.  I vowed to watch one news bulletin every day, whether that be BBC, ITN, Channel 4, Five News or Sky News.  It lasted 10 days, and I know the news is normally a depressing thing to watch but in reality, I should have done better with this.

By the end of last year – my lack of stability and security led to me making several misjudgements, and I really wasn’t happy with my personality either.  So, rather than make one resolution, I decided to go for an ambitious target of eight in 2013. 

The chances were that two of these wouldn’t see the year out, but I want to stick to these for as long as I can, and my target is for five to at least see out the year.

So – here are the eight resolutions I have made and how I have fared so far in 2013.

1. Limit my use of Facebook
This is priority number one.  It’s true; Facebook has at times taken over in a big way.  When you start feeling insecure about a number of things – ranting on social media is not the right way to go about things.  Trust me; I have learnt this the hard way.  

I have taken breaks from this before, lasting from a week to a month in November 2011 – and although I stayed away for these periods, I always came back and slipped into old habits.

My target for 2013 is to only use Facebook for one hour per week – limiting my status updates, and focusing more on published links, radio show promotions and YouTube video clips.

Two weeks in and I have stuck to this just.  There are no restrictions to Twitter and LinkedIn, but this had to be done and I hope to keep it up.

2. Exercise more
The exercise bike could & should get a lot of extra work this year...
Back in the college days, the best description for me was ‘couch potato,’ because that is what I was.  I use the home gym frequently in summer, but not enough in winter – and my lack of general fitness is a concern.

My plan was to do some stretches at least in the winter months, before doing longer gym routines in the spring and the summer.

Unfortunately, this hasn’t started yet – so it is a fail, but it is something that I want to start soon.
    
      3. Stop being so paranoid
This was a big problem that needed to be ratified.  I often got paranoid about the smallest things – and it got as ridiculous as thinking I had done something wrong, when I probably hadn’t.

This also involved taking things far too personally, over-hyping arguments and even getting concerned if I didn’t get a reply back to a message.

The amount of paranoia I had was so crazy, things had to change and for the better.  In 2013, I am aiming to relax more, not worry so much about the small things and appreciate more what I have at my disposal – both in terms of friends and family.

Already I feel like I’m making progress on this front.  I like to generally think I’m a nice, caring individual but at times, I act like the biggest clown around.  This year – that won’t happen.   

4. Watch my choice of words
In today’s day and age, it is important to have two personas in my view.  That is both a personal view and a professional stance.  Mixing up the two can lead to trouble, especially with the use of words, particularly explicit language.

This is a bad habit I have picked up throughout my education and needs to stop.  I know that swearing is wrong and we all do it.  I probably will still have moments where I utter the wrong word, but more control needs to be shown.

This is a trial and error resolution.  I’m doing what I can in January, but if I say the wrong type of language, I feel guilty.  In February, I’m considering setting up a ‘Swear Jar,’ so if I say a bad word – I have to put some money into the jar and then, I give it away to a good cause.  It is the only way I will learn.

5. Start to support a charity
This is something I would like to invest in, and especially once I get the paid breakthrough in media, whenever that will be. 

I haven’t decided which charity to get involved in and how this will be done yet, but it is a venture that not only I would like to do, but feel it could be a good thing to have on a CV.  Plus, it will be worth it to some who aren't so lucky. 

6. Be less controversial
In my life, I always have had a strong opinion on many topics in current affairs, and this can range from questionable refereeing decisions in football to the latest wrangle in the coalition government, and that is despite not having any serious interest in politics.

Taking a phlegmatic approach to things that you simply can’t control, rather than act like it is the end of the planet is the best way forward.  I will still agree/disagree with decisions/principles/proposals – but hearing both sides of the argument would be wise.

I feel like this resolution is on track – although I can’t help think that the future of the coalition isn’t great when David Cameron compares his relationship with the Liberal Democrats to a tin of Ronseal!  That wouldn’t fulfil anyone with much confidence.

7. Learn shorthand/a new language
Learning shorthand is something I need to do
As a trainee journalist, shorthand is still a practical and useful skill to have.  I did a brief bit of training right at the end of my UoN journalism degree, and even purchased a book to do it in my own time.  Then the Total Football position came up, and I completely forgot about it after mid-June.

I’ve been hoping to learn a new language too over the past few years, but never stuck to it.  So, these are two things I would like to start and have a firm grip on by the time 2013 concludes.

The bad news is – I haven’t started either yet so this is already broken.  However, this doesn’t mean I won’t do it either.  I still could do with learning both, and that is something I will be starting real soon.  However I have said this before, especially about the new language…

8. Keep caffeine levels down
I had a high amount of caffeine in my diet in 2012, especially if I was having an energy drink and a can of fizzy drink in the same day.

So in 2013, I’m limiting my caffeine drinks to one cold drink + two hot drinks.  Trying decaf coffee is something I have already done and it still has a nice taste, just without the high caffeine boost which is a good thing.

At the moment, I have stuck to this so far – so I’m pleased with this.

My diet has never been the best, and is something I want to work on in the long-term.  It won’t happen overnight so if I can control this area in 2013, I will be delighted.  I can move onto another aspect in 2014.

So there you have it, I want to make plenty of changes.  Two of these eight have already been broken, but it could be worse – it could have been eight from eight.  So I’m relatively happy with how my New Year Resolutions are going so far.  I hope I can keep this up longer-term until the end of the year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment